Job Title: Payroll Specialist
Reports to: Payroll Operations Supervisor
Location: Brecksville, Ohio
Job Class: Non-Exempt
Position Type: Full-Time
General Summary of Position:
The Payroll Specialist is responsible for all aspects related to the accurate and timely processing of payrolls for clients. This position reports directly to the Payroll Operations Supervisor and works in collaboration with client care specialist and payroll specialists. The Payroll Specialist resolves specific issues pertaining to processing client payrolls in a timely manner meeting or exceeding the expected customer service standards. The Payroll Specialist serves a key role in reaching corporate retention goals.
Principle Duties and Responsibilities:
- Processes payroll for multiple clients and multiple pay cycles with accuracy and in accordance with departmental procedures and service level agreements.
- Ensures clients profile is accurate and up to date.
- Serves at the customer service representative for assigned clients.
- Develops strong relationships with clients by adhering to a proactive call schedule.
- Manages the payroll reports and delivery instructions for assigned clients, ensuring that special instructions and one time deliveries are handled according to department procedures.
- Attends company provided training sessions.
- Proactively contacts inactive clients on a quarterly basis to determine if Ahola should continue filing quarterly/year-end reports.
- Documents all pertinent communication with clients and follows up with appropriate notes in payroll system.
- Discusses with clients their reasons for leaving and reviews options for clients to return.
- Notifies appropriate parties that client is leaving our service.
- Sends out separation of service letters in accordance with departmental service level agreements.
- Proactively notifies clients with employees each quarter with invalid SSNs.
- Notifies appropriate parties when SSNs are corrected.
- Proactively surveys clients for customer satisfaction and offers clients with additional products and services when appropriate.
- Responsible for the confidentiality of every Ahola clients’ payroll information.
- Adheres to company security guidelines by confirming the identity of each contact.
- Maintains complete and accurate client payroll information and client contact information.
- Keeps and updates instructions on client payroll, procedures, and instructions regarding payroll as directed by the client.
- Maintains and updates all payroll processing notes and client contact information.
- Contacts and assists clients daily to obtain payroll data, new hire information, employee maintenance changes, salary and hourly wage adjustments, and may assist in setting up specific payroll deductions and tax withholding changes to process the client’s payroll.
- Accurately enters all payroll related data, verifies totals of data entered, balances to clients control totals and obtains client authorization to process and meet client’s payroll schedule.
- Manages associated payroll reports and delivery instructions for assigned clients insuring that special instructions and one time deliveries are handled according to department procedures and service level agreements.
- Responsible for balancing payroll calculations according to company established guidelines.
- Reviews payroll totals each pay to ensure accurate set up of deductions and taxes.
- Sets up and processes correct calculations for various types of garnishments.
- Responsible for accurately maintaining daily work calendar/schedule.
- Attends Company provided training sessions.
- Uses resources available to review and research payroll questions.
- May attend additional training and educational seminars and meetings provided by professional associations.
- Establishes and maintains a positive, professional working relationship with clients and co-workers.
- Strives to improve service through continued communication and education of clients and peers.
- Performs duties and responsibilities in a professional and courteous manner in order to promote teamwork and a positive work environment.
- Works as part of a team to achieve team related, company initiated goals and projects.
- Assists team members as needed with planned and unplanned time off.
- Provides the expected level of customer support.
- Communicates with the Payroll Operations Supervisor in a timely fashion about personal work schedule changes.
- Communicates with the Payroll Operations Supervisor on pertinent client changes and/or issues negatively or positively impacting clients.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
- Associates Degree
- Minimum of 1-2 years of computerized payroll with a diverse background that includes, but is not limited to multi-city, multi-state, construction, and labor distribution style payrolls.
- Will consider 3 years of Experience in lieu of degree
- Specific knowledge and hands-on experience of payroll processing of various sized clients in a fast-paced environment.
- Experience with computer-based payroll platforms.
- Professional and courteous verbal and email communication skills.
- Ability to address customer issues that promote the organization’s services and core values.
- Fundamental Payroll Certification and Certified Payroll Professional certifications highly regarded.
- Consistent desire to improving professional, payroll skills and payroll tax knowledge.
- Handles constructive criticism and works under the direction of others in a goal-based management system.
- Can work independently and collaboratively as a team member.
- Ability to be innovative and think ahead of the curve; be original with thoughts and ideas.
- Ability to be resourceful when faced with challenges and think outside the box.
- Ability to persevere; be positive during difficult or challenging situations.
• None at This Time